The Niels Henrik Abel Board and the International Mathematical Union is inviting applications from mathematicians based in developing countries. The scholarship is available to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month. Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
Brief Description: The program is designed for postdoctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program.
Eligibility: Applicants must
- hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics,
- be based in a developing country at the time of application
- hold a position in a university/ research institution
- be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college or be under 40 years of age at the day of the application deadline.
- Therefore for the application deadline of April 30, 2017, applicants should be born ON or AFTER April 30, 1977.
- The maximum age may be increased by up to three years in the case of an individual with a broken career pattern (applicants who wish to apply for the April 30, 2017 deadline should be born on or after August, 31, 1974). This should be noted in the application together with the reason for the broken career pattern.
Award Includes: The grant can cover for one month and only for the applicant:
- travel cost to the host institution (economy flight or equivalent)
- food expenses (daily expenses should not exceed USD 30 per day)
- accommodation expenses (monthly rent should not exceed USD 1200- in case you expect higher accommodation cost, please explain in your application the expected higher cost)
- travel health insurance
- visa cost
- local public transport up to USD 100 (for one month)
- The total maximum amount is USD 5,000 per grantee.
- Family expenses and any other cost cannot be covered.
Study Program: Scholarship is available for pursuing one-month postdoctoral research progarmme.
Study Major: Scholarship is awarded in the field of Mathematics.
Host Organization: International Mathematical Union
Number of Awards: Not Known
National/International Students: Citizens of a developing country (Afghanistan, Gambia, Mozambique, Bangladesh, The Guinea, Myanmar, Benin, Guinea-Bissau, Nepal, Burkina Faso, Haiti, Niger, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Cambodia, Korea, Dem Rep., Sierra Leone, Central African Republic, Kyrgyz Republic, Somalia, Liberia, Tajikistan, Comoros, Madagascar, Tanzania, Malawi, Togo, Congo, Dem. Rep, Eritrea, Mali, Uganda, Ethiopia, Mauritania, Zimbabwe, Albania, Indonesia, Samoa, Armenia, India, São Tomé and Principe, Belize, Iraq, Senegal, Bhutan, Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Bolivia, Kosovo, South Sudan, Cameroon, Lao PDR, Sri Lanka, Cape Verde, Lesotho, Sudan, Congo, Rep., Marshall Islands, Swaziland, Côte d’Ivoire, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Syrian Arab Republic, Djibouti, Moldova, Timor-Leste, Egypt, Arab Rep., Mongolia, Tonga, El Salvador, Morocco, Ukraine, Fiji, Nicaragua, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Nigeria, Vanuatu, Ghana, Pakistan, Vietnam, Guatemala, Papua New Guinea, West Bank and Gaza, Guyana, Paraguay, Yemen, Rep., Honduras, Philippines, Zambia, Angola, Ecuador, Palau, Algeria, Gabon, Panama, American Samoa, Grenada, Peru, Antigua and Barbuda, Iran, Islamic Rep., Romania, Argentina, Jamaica, Russian Federation, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Serbia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Seychelles, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Latvia, South Africa, Botswana, Lebanon, St. Lucia, Brazil, Libya, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Suriname, Chile, Macedonia, FYR, Thailand, China, Malaysia, Tunisia, Colombia, Maldives, Turkey, Costa Rica, Mauritius, Turkmenistan, Cuba, Mexico, Tuvalu, Dominica, Montenegro and Uruguay) can apply for this scholarship.
Governing Body: Niels Henrik Abel Board and the International Mathematical Union
Application Procedure: Applications should be sent via e-mail. Application form should be cc to “icmi.cdc.administrator(at)mathunion.org”.
Submission Deadline: The deadline is August 31, 2017, for research visits between January 1 and April 30, 2018.
For more details visit the official site.