AMARI (African Mental Health Research Initiative) is delighted to offer AMARI MPhil and PhD fellowships. These fellowships are awarded in the field of Public Mental Health.
Brief Description: The aim of these fellowships is to equip researchers to lead high-quality mental health research programmes that meet the needs of their countries.
Eligibility: To be eligible:
- PhD applicants require a prior master’s degree in a foundational discipline relevant to public mental health (e.g. psychology, public health).
- Applicants should have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to work in a collaborative fashion as part of a multidisciplinary team. Fellows will need to relocate to Cape Town for the duration of the programme.
Award Includes: The scholarship will cover the following:
- The value of the PhD fellowship is R300 000 per year and includes funding to carry out the intended research. Although the tenure of the fellowships are for 3 years, satisfactory academic progress must be evidence for continued registration.
- The MPhil fellowship cover all the tuition, travel and accommodation fees related to the programme.
Study Program: Fellowships are available to pursue MPhil and PhD programme.
Study Major: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Public Mental Health.
Host Organization: AMARI (African Mental Health Research Initiative)
Number of Awards: Not Known
National/International Students: Applicants of South Africa, Ethiopia, Malawi, or Zimbabwe are eligible to apply.
Governing Body: AMARI (African Mental Health Research Initiative)
Application Procedure: Applicants can apply via email:
- Admission to the programme is highly competitive and is based primarily on academic merit and potential to contribute to mental health development in under-served areas in Africa. A rigorous selection process will be engaged in to identify the candidates who are most likely to successfully complete the degree within the prescribed period. In addition to the written application, short-listed applicants may be requested to attend a teleconference interview.
- The application forms are detailed so that we have as much relevant information possible to enable us to select the most suitable candidates. If you have any questions about the application form or process, please contact Ms. Songelwa Mobo (Songelwa.mobo-at-uct.ac.za). The completed application forms, together with all the required supporting documents, must be submitted electronically as a PDF file to Songelwa Mobo on or before the deadline
Submission Deadline: Application deadline of MPhil programme is September 1, 2017, and PhD programme is September15, 2017.
For more details visit the official site.