University of Ontario Institute of Technology offers Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS) for International students to pursue PhD programme.
Brief Description: The Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS) program is a significant initiative to attract more of the best qualified international students to Ontario for PhD studies. This program supports the 2010 Open Ontario Commitment to increase the number of international students in Ontario while maintaining spaces for qualified domestic students.
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
In order to be eligible for an OTS, a candidate must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be an international student:
- International students are students who have received a temporary resident visa as a member of the student class under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) on the first day of class.
- Domestic and refugee students who are eligible for government financial assistance (e.g., under the Ontario Student Assistance Program [OSAP], or whose enrolment is counted for the purpose of calculating the institution’s operating grants, etc.) are ineligible to receive an OTS.
- Must meet English language proficiency requirements at the time of application.
- Must intend to pursue full-time graduate studies at an eligible Ontario university at the doctoral level. A full-time doctoral student is a student who must:
- Be studying to earn a doctoral degree at an eligible institution.
- Be pursuing her/his studies on a full-time basis.
- Begin their program in September of an academic year.
- Be geographically available and visit her/his campus regularly.
- Not be employed outside the university except by permission of her/his academic supervisor.
- Not be intending to enrol in a qualifying or make-up year.
- Must not currently be studying at an Ontario post-secondary institution at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Must not have concurrently accepted a scholarship or fellowship from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), or the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), or be receiving an Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) or Ontario Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (OGSST) award.
- Must maintain satisfactory research progress for the duration of this award.
Applicants should note that meeting or exceeding the minimum stated requirements does not guarantee an offer of funding. Allocations will be based on the number and quality of applicants. All decisions are final.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to learn any of the subjects offered by the university.
Scholarship Award: Scholarship of $40,000 annually and is renewable for up to a total of four years subject to academic performance and availability of funding. Renewal beyond the first year requires a minimum GPA of A minus in all completed courses.
National/International Students: International students are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
How to Apply: Electronic documents will be accepted. However, all originals must be submitted via post and also via e-mail.
- Bachelor’s degree transcript(s)
- Master’s degree transcript(s)*
- Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) or resumé
- Proof of English Proficiency
- 2017-18 OTS letter of support from proposed supervisor
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is February 1, 2017.