The Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research is looking excellent applicants for its Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in the Medical Humanities. The fellowship is available for South African applicants.
Brief Description: In the present, and through our modern history, lung disease has been one of the key sites of politics in modern South Africa. This political importance is reflected in the richness of the science, the archives and the data associated with silicosis in particular. For over a century the distinctive evidence produced by the gold mines made the South African science of silicosis globally authoritative in occupational health and the legal field of industrial compensation. The material evidence produced by the mines — including the Pathaut database which covers deceased ex-miners back to 1953, the statistics on compensation, diagnosis, and the published research papers by the mine doctors and engineers — may be the largest and most systematic body of health information on the planet
Award Includes: Fellows will work within the Institute, and be expected to work closely with research staff, and to participate fully in the intellectual life of the Institute. Fellows will receive funding for two years; the package for the first year will be R250 000 and include funds for research expenses and a living allowance. Some assistance with conference funding may also be available.
Study Program: Fellowship is available to pursue postdoctoral programme.
Study Major: Fellowship is awarded in the field of Medical Humanities.
Host Organization: Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research
Number of Awards: Not Known
National/International Students: South African applicants can apply for the fellowship.
Governing Body: Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research
Application Procedure: Applicants can apply via email.
- A detailed covering letter explaining clearly and carefully your interest in this project specifically.
- A recent publication or piece of written work, drawing on your past research.
- A detailed and up to date CV, which shows clearly your undergraduate and postgraduate degrees and component courses of study.
- Names and contact details (including email addresses) of three academic referees.
- Certified copies of degrees, diplomas and course records.
- Applications should be sent by email to Ms. Najibha Deshmukh at Najibha.Deshmukh-at-wits.ac.za
Submission Deadline: The application deadline is August 1, 2017.
For more details visit the official site.