Applications are invited for TWAS-CIIT fellowship programme open to young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) . These fellowship will be awarded to obtain all or part (sandwich or full-time) of their PhD in natural or social sciences.
Brief Description: Programme details
- TWAS-CIIT Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in the departments and laboratories of the 7 campuses of the COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT).
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period of 18 months.
- Full-time fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may granted for a period of up to 3 years. Candidates will register for their PhD in the relevant department at one of the campuses of CIIT, Pakistan.
- NEW- CIIT-TWAS Fellowships are also offered in the following social and economic sciences – Development Studies, International Economics, Development Economics, Education and Science Education, Gender Studies, International Relations, Political Science.
Eligibility: Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- Must not be on site in Pakistan;
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- Hold an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences;
- If applying in a field of eligible social sciences, hold an MSc degree in a field of social sciences;
- Be a maximum age of 35 years by 31 December in the year of application;
- For SANDWICH Fellowships: be registered Ph.D. students in a developing country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (see sample in guidelines);
- For Full-time Fellowships: be willing to register at a university in Pakistan;
- Provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from CIIT (see sample Acceptance Letter on page 5). Requests for acceptance must be sent to Dr. Tariq-Ur-Rahman (by e-mail: tariqurrahman-at-comsats.edu.pk) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Dr. Tariq-Ur-Rahman, applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Award Includes: CIIT will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs such as food, accommodation and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
Study Program: Fellowship is awarded in the field of natural sciences (Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Chemical Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Physics).
Study Major: Fellowship is available to obtain all or part (sandwich or full-time) of their Ph.D.
Host Organization: TWAS-COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
National/International Students: Citizens of a developing country other than Pakistan (Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan,Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe) can apply for this fellowship program.
Governing Body: TWAS-COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
- The call for applications is open from April until 31 August of each year.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from CIIT when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper, SIGNED and sent as attachments via e-mail to TWAS and CIIT. The subject line must contain CIIT/PG and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted. The letters can be submitted either by the referee or by the applicant directly.
- Applicants to the TWAS-CIIT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send a copy of their application (by email) to both TWAS and to CIIT.
Submission Deadline: The application deadline is 31st August 2016.
For more details visit the official site.